Friday, October 29, 2010

Mantle Mania





A side bar to the construction is the making of three mantels we are going to place above the fireplaces. I found that debarking an aspen log is quite a trick. First I tried scraping with a draw knife but found I couldn't tell the difference between bark close to the wood and the wood itself. I then discovered that using a chisel to peel the bark like an orange gave me a better idea as to where the wood started. Once I got that far it was a snap to use the draw knife to smooth out the rough log and make ready for sanding.

Here are a couple of pictures to give you an idea of what is involved.


Cutting logs can be easy if one has a really good chain saw.

Two logs gave me four potential mantels. Should I make an extra just in case? I think yes.

A draw knife by itself doesn't help make much progress.

Peel it like an orange, I say!

Peeling makes quick work of a lot of bark

Then it is easier to use the draw knife.

Whittling on a large scale.

Much different than the original log. Takes about an hour or so per log to strip the bark.










No comments:

Post a Comment